Last Updated on
Packed with nutrients, green juices are a sugar-free alternative to fruit juice and an easy way to get your daily, healthy green fix of immune boosting goodness. Get into green juicing with our green juicing tips
“Fresh, living juice is a powerhouse, rich in vitamins, minerals, living enzymes and phytochemicals, all of which have extraordinary healthful and beneficial effects on your body,” say Jay and Linda Kordich, authors of Live Foods Live Bodies
“Green juices, in particular, are very potent because they have highly concentrated nutrients, explain the authors:
“They are a high source of chlorophyll which metabolizes oxygen in the bloodstream, purifying it and at the same time cleansing the kidneys, liver and urinary tract. Green juices also stimulate the peristaltic wave in the intestines “and move the bowels”.
Despite the glowing reviews, green juice can seem a little intense for your taste buds at first, but the taste will grow on you. Buying fresh, good quality produce and experimenting with flavour can make green juice one of the easiest ways to stay hydrated and enjoy increased vitality.
Get Into Green Juicing With These Top 5 Green Ingredients
- All greens… high in calcium, magnesium, potassium and sodium.
- Cucumber… rich in silicon and sulfur, making it great for hair and nails.
- Celery… high in organic sodium — aids detoxification.
- Parsley… high in calcium and vitamin C and great for supporting the adrenal glands.
- Beetroot… high in natural chlorine which helps cleanse the liver, kidneys and gall bladder.
Fruit to add …and avoid
- Blueberries — fresh or frozen. Frozen berries can be thawed, put in the blender and added to juice
- Lemons and limes
Fruit to avoid:
- Melons: watermelon, cantaloupe or honeydew.
These are challenging to juice and a waste of the fruit.
Get Into Green Juicing With The 80:20 Juicing Rule
5 Ways To Increase Your Greens
With concerns about the effects of fruit juice on blood sugar levels, juicing greens and vegetables is a great way to avoid peaks in blood sugar, provided you keep to the 80:20 rule: fruit, carrots and beetroot should not make up more than 20 per cent of the juice.
Every one of your juices should be 80 per cent or more green.
Keep It Fresh
Buy fresh produce and wash it in fresh water or use a biodegradable soap, using a vegetable brush. Make sure you scrub the surfaces thoroughly and rinse them well before use. Buy local if you can. This produce may also be pesticide-free and sustainable; just ask the farmer or vendor.
Juicer Or Blender?
In your blender, liquidize or puree your greens and vegetables, then squeeze them through a nut milk bag to separate the liquid from the fiber.
Green juice tastes delicious but for some this taste may be too ‘green” at first. You can add extra ingredients for flavour, as well as other health benefits:
Sweeten it up… Provided that your blood sugar levels are normal, add fruit to sweeten the juice and increase your kilojoules (especially good for athletes or very active people):
- Lemons and limes cut the bitterness of the greens.
- One apple transforms green juice.
- Carrot and beetroot make excellent natural sweeteners.
Add a kick with herbs…
- spearmint or any fresh, green herbs for fabulous flavour.
Flavor with celery…
- Celery dilutes juice. It is also said to be more hydrating than water and a great source of organic sodium and other minerals.
Spice it up…
Add your favourite spices:
- ground cinnamon
- fresh ginger for outstanding flavour
Get Started 1-2-3 –>
- Start with spinach and parsley; these greens are mild in flavour and packed with nutrients.
- Then try kale, mixed green salad leaves, Cos lettuce and rocket for fuller flavour and a more spicy taste.
- Later, introduce wilder greens like nettles, watercress and mustard greens.
Cilantro And Apple Cleanser
- 6-8 stalks celery
- 1 bunch kale
- 2 bunches fresh cilantro
- 4 green apples
- 1 lemon or lime, peeled
‘The herb cilantro is great for helping with heavy metal detox, green apples and citrus are lovely low-glycoemic choices for juicy sweeteners, and this juice combo also contains goodies such as magnesium ,calcium and vitamin K”
Fresh Herb Immune Booster
- 1 medium beetroot with its greens
- 2 large handfuls spinach
- 1 large handful fresh basil
- 10-12 stalks celery
- 4 large leaves Swiss chard
- 1 medium lime with skin
- 1 red delicious apple to sweeten
Quick Green Fix Anyone?
If you can’t be bothered with the effort of juicing or would like to supplement your green intake for a healthy you, we have researched the best and most popular healthy green powders available.
If you want an instant hit of green goodness, try one of the following options: It’s as simple as stirring a spoonful or two into your glass of water or sprinkling it on your cereal….
|Green Powders||Name||Star Rating||Price||For More Details|
|Vibrant Health - Green Vibrance - 60 servings||4.6 / 5||Under $68.00||More details!|
|Standard Process - Cyruta Plus 360 tab||4.6 / 5||Under $67.00||More details!|
|pHresh Greens Raw Alkalizing Superfood, 2 Month Supply, 10 Ounce||4.8 / 5||Under $56.00||More details!|
|Raw ORGANIC Green Superfood Powder - Premium Super Greens Supplement||4.6 / 5||Under$30.00||More details!|
Get Into Green Juicing – What Are You Waiting For…
Green Juices are taking the world by storm as more and more of the benefits of their vital goodness is revealed. Our immune systems appreciate the cleansing boost, as does our digestive system. The instant hit provided in an easily digested form is assimilated and delivered for immediate absorption by the body. Forget the afternoon energy slumps, get into green juicing and do your precious body a favor! Your body will love you.